Author: Brittany Holland
Google Maps is a popular navigation tool you can rely on to know some critical information about your desired location, including distance.
The Google Maps application is so sophisticated that you don’t have to be present before having a clear idea of the measure between the start and end location.
It can give results in just a snap, so it is way better than manual equipment in terms of convenience.
If you plan your trip with Google Maps, the journey might be stress less especially if you are visiting a place for the first time. No more feeling unfamiliar with places, when you use this navigation tool.
As amazing as this application is, it might be difficult to operate. Here is a guide to get you started:
How to Measure Distance via Google Maps: PC and Mac
Using Google Maps on PC and Mac is a bit different compared to using the feature on Android and iOS.
- Open Google Maps. Right-click action. From the menu, find the Measure Distance option and click on it.
- Click anywhere on the map to draw a line and create a route.
- Click on the other location to add another point. The total measure of distance will appear at the bottom.
- Click the Close option on the bottom when done.
For complex routes:
- Click on the line and drag it to your preferred location. Based on your adjustments, there will be automatic data for the total measure distance.
- If the drag action won’t work, repeatedly click to your intended locations. Google Maps will show results in every action, so there is no need to be bothered about mistakes.
- Click the X symbol in the distance measurement box to finish. You can also right-click and clear the measurement to close it.
How to Measure Distance via Google Maps: Android and iOS
As said earlier, some of the steps are slightly different, so don’t miss out on the steps below:
- Open Google Maps on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap to create a starting point. As you do that, a red marker will appear.
- Go to the bottom and tap the name of a location. Google Maps work even if you just input the city or town name.
- Tap the Measure Distance option.
- Tap and drag to create the end location. The map moves when you drag the line. The total measurement of distance will appear on the bottom of the screen.
- Next, tap the blue + button to mark the points once the crosshair is in the right place.
- Tap on the back arrow icon in the top left corner when done.
For complex routes:
- Remove the existing line and set new points to measure.
- If you are unable to drag existing points, map out new ones.
- To start, tap the blue + button.
- The total distance automatically adjusts based on new locations.
- Tap the undo arrow on the upper-right corner of the screen to remove the last point created.
- Tap the three-dot icon located in the upper-right corner, and tap Clear to undo everything and start over.
There’s no question about how beneficial the Google Maps feature is. It can surely make your life more convenient and innovative. After all, it is always fun to learn something when it comes to places. Hopefully, the detailed step-by-step guide above can help you appreciate more of what Google Maps can do.